Saturday 5 November 2011

Enter The (Fat) Dragon

OK - It's time someone else posted other than Matt.  Not that we don't all enjoy Matts musings but it's Saturday afternoon, I've now officially retired from rugby so I'm bored and am flicking between the online coverage of Ironman Florida and Facebook.

This challenge for me probably carries a number of different aspects to other people in the group.  For a start I'm a relative newbie to multisport having completed Stokesleey Duathlon last March and done nothing since.

Running long distances holds no fear for me, I'm a plodder and my favourite distance is half marathon but what has become apparent since I set my personal best of 1h:32m:06 in 1995 is that I have got fat, not just tubby but proper fat.  At 5 stone 7" and 15 stone my knees kindly reminded me that if I'm going to f*** about running further than 20 miles in one go they are going to complain about it, loudly, more loudly than a drunk fishwife who's just been queuejumped at a Take That concert.

So first challenge along with getting the time on the road in is to drop some weight.  Having got down to just over 14 stone I think I need to go a bit further and get to maybe 12 stone or so.

Second challenge is to speed up a bit so that I'm not plodding 20 miles behind everyone else.

Third challenge is to get my shoulder, the reason for the retirement from rugby into a fit state for swimming in time for Stockton triathlon in August.  By swimming I also need to mean moving through the water faster than a baby elephant with concrete shoes on too.

Still things are looking up, I've clocked 6 hours a week training in the last 2 weeks, I feel good even this early in the base phase and I'm looking forward to getting through the winter and coming out the other side a bit leaner and faster and ready to smash a few races.

James

No comments:

Post a Comment